Since none of us want to waste time and money by not learning useful materials, consider this. If you study, apply and ask questions, you should make rapid progress and improvement in your communication abilities. Start now to follow this suggested plan:
1) study all materials on a daily basis,
2) review what you've studied and practice what you've learned,
3) when no opportunities present themselves to test what you've learned, create some,
4) understand the vocabulary being used in your reading materials as well as discussion,
5) ask for clarification when you're not certain you are on the right track.
If you follow this pattern on a regular basis, no money will be wasted and a grade higher than you expected will likely be earned. Give it a shot.