Thursday, January 27, 2011

Where To Begin

Introductions are important. That's where we should begin. Think about the challenges that face you. In the first few seconds you and I decide whether to listen or escape into our own private world. What can the person trying to gain and hold your attention do that? Here are some questions that will help.

1. Who am I? What are my strengths and weaknesses? What do I know and how prepared for this communication am I?

2. Who do they think I am?
What do they already know about me and my topic? How much knowledge do I have and how important is it to them to listen?

3. The plan:
how do I frame the context for the communication? Why would they want to know what I know and am about to share? How can I tie my topic to their interests? What things are most people interested in and want to know more about?

4. How can tie the important points I'm about to share in the shortest possible time? Should I use statistics, examples, photos, short stories or something more personal such as, popularity, jobs, money?

5. Have I spelled out in words just what my plan is to move the audience from a room full of separate individuals into a cohesive group of people who want you to "tell them" what you know so they can know it too.

All of us would be more effective if we followed the ideas listed above. Think before you speak is valuable advice for all occasions. A few moments here can spare us all several moments of embarrassment.

No comments: